Thursday, September 27, 2012

Smoked salmon with jalapeno freekah and blood orange salsa



I love me a bit of salmon. I’ll eat it plucked from the sea, smoked, baked, steamed, fried, deep-fried, confit, sous vide. If its salmon, I’ll eat it and I fear I am looking directly into the face of mercury poisoning from excess consumption. I couldn’t be happier. I am a child of the 80s and so smoked salmon still holds that element of grandeur – it was the equivalent of today’s truffle. And while mass fish farming means it’s now as common as it comes, I’m still the guest, wolfing down the blinis, stopping only to breathe, refill and comment “ gosh, smoked salmon, you certainly are spoiling me.” 
This dish is best using a good quality smoked salmon, stellar produce makes all the difference. The jalapeno and blood orange cut through the richness of the salmon and avocado – they also do a great job of offsetting the nuttiness of the freekah.Basically, it is a tick all the boxes kind of meal without even trying - high protein, good fats, low GI, high fibre … I could go on but it’s exhausting; just know that it’s the sort of meal that will give you that sanctimonious glow that comes with eating well.

Serves 2
Ingredients
2 x good quality smoked salmon fillets
½ cup freekah
2 jalepeno chillies, finely sliced
½ cup coriander leaves
Zest of 1 lime
Blood orange salsa
1 avocado, cubed
½ red onion, finely diced
1 blood orange, peeled, segmented

Method
Cook the freekah according to packet instructions.  Refresh under cold water and place in a large bowl and allow to cool.  Add the jalepeno, coriander and lime zest. Stir to combine, season generously and set aside.
Prepare the salsa by combining all ingredients in a bowl and stirring gently to combine. To serve, spoon the freekah mixture onto the plate. Add the salmon and top with the salsa. Alternatively, you can flake the salmon and toss everything super gently in a large bowl and serve as a salad.


No comments:

Post a Comment