Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Death by Chocolate in a double chocolate marsbar kind of way....

Double Chocolate Marsbar Biscuits




A girlfriend of mine, who very inconveniently skipped off to Berlin like the creative wonder child that she is, creates possibly the most epic mars bar biscuits in existence. She keeps the recipe written down in the safe house of her mind, making it a little difficult for the rest of us to replicate the magic. So I’ve gone out on a limb and made my own here for the column this week. I’d be lying if I said these biscuits were anything other than a chocolate assault. With a combo of white chocolate, dark chocolate and salt sprinkled mars bar, they are sustaining in a fortify-the-soul kind of way. They are one of those rare food groups that go equally well with a glass of milk as they do a glass of red; and I can attest to both.
If you don’t have corn syrup (I’ve added it here because I like equal parts crunch and chewiness in my biscuit) just replace in equal weight with brown sugar.
This dough can also be frozen for future use. I am in awe of anyone with the kind of discipline to employ this option, if you are one of these people, I think I would rather like to meet you. I think I need proof they/you exist.
Ingredients
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
125g butter, softened
160g brown sugar
20g corn syrup
150g plain flour
40g cocoa powder
½ teaspoon bicarbonate soda
100g white chocolate
100g dark chocolate
2 mars bars, sliced
A generous pinch of salt
Method
Preheat the oven to 150C.
Add the eggs and vanilla to a separate bowl and whisk lightly to combine. Beat the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add the egg mixture and beat until incorporated. Add the corn syrup and beat briefly to combine before sifting over the dry ingredients. Stir gently to incorporate then add the chunks of chocolate. Roll tablespoons of the mixture into biscuit shapes and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Gently press a slice of mars bar into the centre of each biscuit and sprinkle over a little salt.
Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Allow to cool on the tray before consuming en masse.

2 comments:

  1. My goodness, my mouth is dying here. No, I would not be putting in the freezer for later. In fact, I would have a hard time sharing with anyone. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! Need something for early Sat morning so if I can make these beforehand and freeze them I can just pop them in the oven before Sat morning guests come over. What's the process for defrosting? And how much time in the oven should I add if baking from frozen?

    ReplyDelete